Thursday, February 11, 2010

Do You Realize?



While listening to music the other day a song popped up called "Do You Realize?" by The Flaming Lips. I had not heard the song in a while and for some reason my attention was on the message of the song. I "realized", as they so kindly ask in the song, that all of what they were saying was true.
Do You Realize?:
-"we're floating in space?"
-"that happiness makes you cry?"
-"that everyone you know someday will die?"
These ideas strike me as being pretty universal so to speak, but its something we pay little attention too. I mean we all know that we will die someday, that overwhelming happiness sometimes makes us cry, and we are just people floating in space, but to actually acknowledge it is something in its own.
What I did learn from this song after about 100 plays, is that there is something we can do, which gives me a sense of comfort. We realize that all though these thoughts may bring discomfort, much like swallowing cough syrup, we know it is all apart of life. And thats okay. I realize life goes fast, and I sure know that it's hard to make the good times last, but all in all, I feel pretty optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment